What are the dates for 2020 Main Idea?
The dates for the 2020 season are August 20th – 30th. We expect all campers to stay for the entire session.
More information on Camper Travel can be found on our Important Forms page.
Are visitors permitted?
There are no visitors permitted during the camp session. Family members are welcome to look around the camp while dropping off or picking up their camper.
What are the bunks like?
Staff and campers live in screened-in wooden bunks. Each bunk generally houses 10-12 campers and 3-4 staff members. Each bunk has its own bathroom and sinks. While the bunks do not have electricity, there are lights in the bathroom area. Showers are in a centrally located building with 12 hot-water showers.
What’s a typical day?
|10:00-10:45||First Activity Period|
|11:00-11:45||Second Activity Period|
|12:00-12:45||Third Activity Period|
|3:00-3:45||Fourth Activity Period|
|4:00-4:45||Fifth Activity Period|
|5:00-5:45||Sixth Activity Period|
|7:00-8:15||All-Camp Evening Activity|
What’s the weather like in Maine?
Maine is beautiful in the summer! The days can get hot, while the nights can get cold … occasionally it rains.
A Camper Packing List can be found on our Important Forms page.
What’s the camping trip like?
Every bunk will participate in one overnight trip. The trip includes a short hike or canoe trip, camping out in tents, cooking over a campfire and more! All camping supplies are provided.
At what age can campers be in the Leadership bunk?
Campers must be 13 years old by August 1, 2020 to be eligible to participate in the Leadership program.
Can campers use the phone?
While at camp, campers are not permitted to receive or make phone calls. However we do encourage both the campers and their parents to write letters. The mailing address at camp is:
The Main Idea at Camp Walden
P.O. Box 230
Denmark, ME 04022
Can campers bring there own cell phones or other electronics?
Campers are not allowed to bring cell phones, tablets, laptops, or any other expensive electronic devices. The Main Idea will not be responsible for any lost, stolen, or damaged devices.
Can campers receive packages?
While campers are certainly able to receive packages, in order to prevent animals from coming in, there is no food permitted in the bunks. Any food received while at camp will be kept in the office — campers can access it after lunchtime. The mailing address for packages is:
The Main Idea
93 Walden Drive
Denmark, ME 04022
Where can I find driving directions?
- Maine Turnpike to exit 45. Take exit 45, and bear Right to Maine Mall Road.
- Turn Left at the light.
- Continue on Maine Mall Road (Payne Rd), past Walmart.
- At the next light, turn Right onto Route 114.
- Continue on Route 114 to Route 22.
- Turn Left at the light onto Route 22/114 and continue to the next light.
- Turn Right at the light onto Route 114, 2.9 miles to Gorham ME.
- Continue through the light on Route 114, 7.4 miles to Sebago Me.
- Proceed through the 4 way stop, 8.8 miles to East Sebago.
- Turn Left onto Long Hill Road, .3 of a mile past the Dairy Queen on your left.
- Proceed West 2.5 miles. Bear Right at the Stop sign onto Route 107.
- Continue West 2.2 miles to Hancock Pond Road.
- Turn Left onto Hancock Pond Road and travel 5.8 miles to Berry Road.
- Turn Left onto Berry Road. Travel .75 miles and at the top of the hill turn Left onto 93 Walden Drive.
Or, if you want to find your own directions, the address is:
93 Walden Drive, Denmark, ME 04022 (Map of Camp)