How To Apply
The Main Idea is a two week program that provides economically disadvantaged girls with a 10-day summer camp experience that builds self-confidence, promotes leadership skills, and creates a trusting and secure environment, all within the natural splendor of the Maine woods.
There is no job more challenging or more rewarding than being a camp counselor. Are you ready to grow, learn, and change, digging deep into yourself to discover the values you want to pass forward to the next generation? Can you balance self-care with the incredible energy and excitement of a roaring camp environment? Are you ready to enter into community with fifty-one years of wacky traditions and the people who love them?
If you love working with children and want to make a difference in our campers’ lives while being in the great outdoors, then The Main Idea at Camp Walden is the place for you!
Camp runs from August 16th – August 30th. Counselors must commit to work at camp for the entire period.
All counselors are specialists in an activity, which they teach during the day. Activities include:
- Arts and Crafts
- Low Ropes, High Ropes, Climbing Wall
- Horseback Riding
All female counselors are also bunk counselors, living in a cabin with the campers. They get to:
- Be a live-in role model for a group of girls, from ages 9-14
- Bond deeply with their campers during Rest Hour, Free Time, and Taps
- Help their campers win daily inspection for the cleanest cabin
- Collaborate with their campers on a host of wacky evening activities
- Put their campers to bed at night and wake them up in the morning
- Deal with any situations in the bunk, as they arise
All male counselors live in a separate men’s bunk. Male counselors get to:
- Be positive male role models in the lives of our campers
- Attend our evening activities
- Run our evening snack program, Milk Line
- Occasionally staff the office during the evening
- Help our Riding staff with some fun barn chores
- Keep our Counselor House clean
- Contribute in other ways, as necessary
- Experience working with children
- At least 19 years old or have completed your first year of college
- Three professional references
- Complete our interviewing process
- Pass a comprehensive background check
- Pass mandated reporting training
- Salary is dependent on experience, previous training, and position.
- Housing provided in our rustic cabins. Cabins have toilets and sinks but no electricity. There are two hot shower houses located in the middle of the cabin area.
- Three nutritious meals are provided daily. Vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free options are always available.
- Limited compensation is available for travel expenses.
Where is The Main Idea???
- Camp rests along Walden Pond in a majestic area of towering pines in Denmark, Maine. Denmark is in the heart of the Sebago Lakes region and is only 30 minutes away from the White Mountains, home to the Presidential Mountain Range. We are approximately one hour west of Portland, 40 minutes east of North Conway and 20 minutes from Saco River.